If you have a garden like I do, you probably have more zucchini than you know what to do with! Well here is a perfect way to use those guys up. This zucchini lasagna loaf is so good, lower carb, and so easy to make. I love a lasagna that is primarily veggies, but they can sometimes be watery.. Not this loaf. It’s so dense and perfect, you won’t even miss the noodles.
Why you’ll love this zucchini recipe
- You feel like you are eating a big plate of lasagna, without the after meal bloat!
- It’s got more of those crispy lasagna edges that we all love so much!
- It’s a great way to eat more vegetables without feeling like you are eating more vegetables!
Here’s what you’ll need to make it
- 2 loaf pans (or one for a smaller recipe)
- Parchment paper
- Mandolin or a sharp knife
- Measuring spoons
Ingredients & substitutions
- Zucchini – preferably large
- Marinara – I used pizza sauce for thicker consistency
- Panko bread crumbs
- Italian seasoning
- Garlic powder
- Mozzarella cheese – the more the better
- Ground Italian sausage
How to make this zucchini lasagna recipe
Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. In a frying pan, brown your sausage and set aside.
Slice your zucchini with your mandolin into 1/4 inch thick slices. Lay the slices on a paper towel and salt both sides. Let it sit for about 10 minutes to draw some of the water out. Pat dry.
In a bowl, mix your panko, Italian seasoning and garlic powder.
To your parchment lined loaf pan, layer zucchini, marinara, panko mixture, sausage and mozzarella. Repeat until the pan is full. Bake for about 25 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the edges are crispy.
Let cool slightly, cut and serve! Garnish with basil if you have it.
FAQs about veggie lasagna
Don’t skip the step where you salt your zucchini! This is so important. It pulls a lot of the water out and keeps the dish from being too watery.
It provides a wide range of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants that are essential for overall health.
More recipes with lots of vegetables:
More of the best recipes you will love:
Zucchini Lasagna Loaf
- 2 loaf pans
- Parchment paper
- mandolin can use a sharp knife
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- paper towel
- 1 Frying Pan
- 1 Spatula
- 2 large zucchini sliced the long way on a mandolin
- 1 Jar Marinara sauce I used pizza sauce for more flavor and a thicker sauce
- 4 Cups shredded mozzarella
- 1 Cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 Tbsp garlic powder
- 2 Tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 Lb ground Italian sausage
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Brown your Italian sausage in a frying pan.In a bowl, mix your panko, Italian seasoning and garlic powder.Slice your zucchini on a mandolin so they look like lasagna noodles. Lay them on paper towel, salt both sides and let them sit for 10 minutes. This draws the water out, so the lasagna isn’t too watery. Pat them dry before layering.Line your loaf pans with parchment paper.Layer your zucchini, then marinara, then sausage, followed by your panko mixture and a layer of mozzarella. Repeat this for both pans until they are full. Top with mozzarella.Bake for about 25 minutes, until the cheese is melted and the edges are crispy. Let cool before slicing and serving.