This spinach arugula salad is the perfect simple salad to pair with your favorite protein. I first ate a similar salad while at a steakhouse in Las Vegas. The peppery arugula pairs so perfectly with the fragrant pine nuts and simple lemon vinaigrette. This salad is perfect served with your favorite cut of steak, salmon filet, or even chicken. If you appreciate the simple vibrance of perfectly grown greens, give this recipe a try.
Why you’ll love this arugula and spinach salad
- The flavors and simple and bright and perfectly compliment a beautiful steak. I love this salad as a simple addition to a perfectly cooked ribeye.
- It’s easy to toss together with only a few simple ingredients. The shaved Parmesan cheese and toasted pine nuts are completely brought to life by the bright lemon vinaigrette.
- It’s inexpensive, and if steak isn’t your thing, it pairs beautifully with a nice piece of salmon or chicken as well.
Here’s what you’ll need to make it
- Frying Pan – This is for toasting the pine nuts. You will only need to toast them in a dry pan for a few minutes.
- Spatula – this is for stirring the pine nuts while they toast. This helps to make sure they toast evenly and don’t burn.
- Vegetable peeler – this is to shave the parmesan cheese. Parmesan is so good this way on a salad. Highly recommend!
- Large bowl – For mixing the salad together.
- Mason jar with lid – This is the easiest way to make dressing. You can put the ingredients in a jar, put the lid on and shake it until it’s mixed well.
**This post contains affiliate links. I may earn commission from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. I will never recommend a product I don’t use or trust.**
Ingredients & substitutions
- Spinach – I love to add spinach to this simple salad. It gives in a nice flavor with less bite than just a plain arugula salad.
- Arugula – I like the spinach and arugula combo. Arugula gives this salad a little peppery bite.
- Parmesan Cheese – Get a block of Parmesan and shave your own. It’s so much better this way!
- Pine nuts – Toasted pine nuts have a nice, mild, fragrant flavor.
- Olive oil – Find a nice high quality olive oil. It makes a world of difference. I subscribe to Grove and Vine.
- White wine vinegar – Any white wine vinegar will do. If you don’t have white wine vinegar, use plain white vinegar. White wine vinegar has a slightly more mild and sweet flavor.
- Lemon juice – Lemon and arugula go so well together, so giving this dressing a little lemon flavor makes everything pop.
How to make this salad with arugula and spinach
Step 1. To a mason jar with a lid, add olive oil, vinegar, lemon juice, black pepper and a pinch of salt. Put the lid on and shake until well combined.
Step 2. To a frying pan over medium heat, add the pine nuts and toast them until they are a golden brown color and fragrant.
Step 3. Add spinach, arugula, shaved Parmesan, pine nuts and the dressing and toss. Serve with a little more shaved Parmesan on the top.
FAQs about simple salads
Simple salad: It is also known as single salad and is made of single ingredients except dressing , base and garnish. They are made of vegetables or fruits and are served as an accompaniment during mealtime.
Freshness of ingredients, Having all ingredients blend together in harmony, Making sure the salad is appealing to the eye.
Seeds and nuts are a great salad topper. They add delicious crunch to a salad, and can be roasted with spices for extra flavour. Popular choices are almonds, sunflower seeds, pepitas, pine nuts and peanuts. Make a seed and nut mix that you can keep in a jar ready to toss into your next salad.
More recipes – salads:
More hearty salad recipes for dinner:
Spinach Arugula Salad
- 1 Frying Pan
- 1 Spatula
- 1 vegetable peeler to shave Parmesan
- 3 cups Arugula
- 3 cups Spinach
- Parmesan Cheese
- Pine nuts
- 1/4 cup White Wine Vinegar
- 1/4 cup Olive Oil
- 2 tbsp Lemon Juice
- Black Pepper
- Salt to taste
- To a mason jar with a lid, add olive oil, vinegar, lemon juice, black pepper and a pinch of salt. Put the lid on and shake until well combined.
- To a frying pan over medium heat, add the pine nuts and toast them until they are a golden brown color and fragrant.
- Add spinach, arugula, shaved Parmesan, pine nuts and the dressing and toss. Serve with a little more shaved Parmesan on the top.