There are a lot of people who love ordering mussels at a restaurant, but might fear making them at home. The fact is, they are so easy and can be made in only minutes! Another benefit of mussels is that they are very inexpensive. These mussels in garlic cream sauce are an elegant dish that you can make at home for very little money.
You can make this dish with or without toasted French bread, but I highly recommend you make it with. This toasted bread is a great way to sop up that delicious garlic sauce as you eat the beautiful shellfish. It really makes it a complete meal.
Start by pressing your garlic and chopping your shallots and red peppers. To your Dutch oven or pot, add olive oil, enough to cover the bottom and heat over low/medium. Add your shallots, garlic and peppers and cook until fragrant. Only about 5 minutes or less. Then pour your broth and heavy cream in, and stir until it simmers. Add your mussels, and cover. Turn the heat to low and simmer for about 10 minutes. Cut your bread the long way, butter and broil in the oven until it’s crispy. Garnish with parsley and a slice of lemon.
I used Great Fish Company cooked mussels. I got these from our local grocery store in the freezer section. Check out the link for these mussels here. Any mussels will do, pre cooked or raw, because they will cook very quickly in the broth. With this recipe, you are basically just thawing and warming in the broth.
Mussels in Garlic Cream Sauce
- 1 Dutch oven Or large pot
- 1 wooden spoon
- Measuring Cups
- Garlic press or knife
- 2 Lbs mussels
- 2 Cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 Cup heavy cream
- 8 mini sweet peppers chopped
- 1 Head garlic pressed or chopped
- 1 shallot sliced
- French bread on the side optional
- lemon and parsley for garnish
- olive oil for cooking
- Over medium heat, add olive oil to your Dutch oven and let warm. Use enough to cover the bottom of the pan. Press your garlic and add that, stirring constantly so it doesn’t burn. Slice and add your shallot. Cook until fragrant. Add the sweet peppers. Cook until slightly soft.Pour in the chicken broth, then the heavy cream. Wait until it is simmering, and add the mussels. Turn the heat to low, so the broth simmers, and cover for about 10 minutes. Pour in a bowl and garnish with parsley and a squeeze of lemon. If you would like to add your French bread, cut it in half the long way and butter. Put under the broiler and broil until the top is crispy. Slice and dip in the broth.