These meatballs are the best Italian appetizer that will surely impress your guests. Sweet and savory with the tomato sauce, and so tender, this will be the best meatball you’ve ever had. They are not only delicious, but they are so easy to make. With minimal ingredients, all they really cost you is your time. What makes this meatball so tender, is simmering it for an hour. I know that sounds crazy, but trust me, it’s worth it.
Most of the ingredients are pretty standard meatball ingredients, such as breadcrumbs, eggs and of course some kind of meat. I like to mix both ground sirloin and Italian sausage for a little more spice. This meatball recipe also has ricotta cheese and heavy cream, which also lends to the tenderness.
- Large mixing bowl
- Shallow pan
- Serving dish
- Cheese grater
- 1 lbs ground sirloin
- 1 lbs Italian sausage
- 1 Eggs
- 1/2 cup Ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup Heavy cream
- 1/2 cup Seasoned panko bread crumbs
- 1 large Garlic clove, pressed
- 1 jar Of your favorite red sauce
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- Parmesan and Basil for garnish
- Put bread crumbs and heavy cream in a bowl and let soak for 5 minutes. Add Sirloin, Italian sausage, ricotta, garlic and egg to the bowl and gently mix. Make the meat mixture into balls. I like to make 8 meatballs with 2 lbs of meat, but you can make them as large or as small as you would like. Heat olive oil in the pan at medium heat. Add meatballs and cook for about 3-4 minutes on each side, searing the meatballs. Once that is done, turn head to low and add pasta sauce (1 jar) and let simmer for one hour, turning the meatballs and covering them with sauce every 10 minutes or so. Make sure the sauce is simmering lightly the whole time. You can eat these meatballs with pasta or crusty bread as an appetizer. Garnish with grated Parmesan and fresh basil.