I love a good chocolate mousse, but generally speaking, they are high in fat with really no nutritional value. While I’m totally fine treating myself, I created this recipe as a better for you option for decadent chocolate mousse. This healthy chocolate mousse is made with better chocolate, and thickened up with some plain Greek yogurt. Lastly, it’s sweetened with maple syrup. It’s so easy to make and can be eaten for breakfast!
Why you’ll love this high protein chocolate mousse
- This healthy chocolate mousse is thick and creamy, and will give you a lot less guilt!
- I used HuKitchen chocolate, which provides you with a delicious chocolate that melts easily, and contains no refined sugar or sugar alcohols. I highly recommend this brand!
- It’s thick, creamy and I think you are going to love how easy this recipe is.
Here’s what you’ll need to make it
- Microwave safe bowl – You will use this to melt your chocolate into your cream.
- Silicon spatula – To stir when you are melting the chocolate.
- Measuring Cups and Spoons – To measure all your ingredients. Or if you are like me, you can measure with your heart.
- Vessels – Whatever you want to use to let them set in the refrigerator. I used small Pyrex bowls, but any glass or ceramic container will do.
**This post contains affiliate links. I may earn commission from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. I will never recommend a product I don’t use or trust.**
Ingredients & substitutions
- Heavy cream – I do not have an issue with dairy, but you can make this dairy free with coconut cream.
- Chocolate chips – I use HuKitchen for most of my chocolate dishes and I highly recommend! You just feel different when you are eating less processed sugar.
- Greek yogurt – Get a thick brand. I use Fage with 5% milk fat.
- Maple syrup – Find yourself a quality maple syrup. Buy locally if you can!
- Vanilla – I use real Mexican vanilla extract. This is also something that you should buy quality products. Real vanilla extract is more expensive but it’s totally worth it when it comes to the flavor.
How to make this protein chocolate mousse
Step 1. To a microwave safe bowl, add your heavy cream and chocolate chips. Warm in the microwave in 30 second intervals until the chocolate is melted, stirring in between.
Step 2. Add the yogurt and maple syrup and fold together.
Step 3. Pour into your vessel of choice and let thicken for 4 hours or longer.
High protein chocolate mousse
Yes you can! Depending on the brand, however, it may give it a more grainy texture.
It will last as long as the expiration date on the cream that you used. Usually that would be the ingredient that would expire first.
I prefer chocolate chips or chocolate shavings, but you can top it with whipped cream and/or fruit as well.
More healthier dessert recipes:
Healthy Chocolate Mousse
- 1 microwave safe bowl
- 1 silicon spatula
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- vessels for letting them set in the refrigerator
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 2/3 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla
- To a microwave safe bowl, add your heavy cream and chocolate chips. Warm in the microwave in 30 second intervals until the chocolate is melted, stirring in between.
- Add the yogurt and maple syrup and fold together.
- Pour into your vessel of choice and let thicken for 4 hours or longer.
- Enjoy with your favorite toppings like more chocolate or fruit!