Who doesn’t love a variation on pizza recipe? I know I love all things pizza! This garlic bread meatball sub is an open faced sub that has all the delicious components of a thick crust pizza. Juicy meatballs and garlicky bread make this recipe a real winner. Make it for an easy week night meal or appetizer for the holidays!
Why you’ll love this cheesy stuffed garlic bread
- You can buy the garlic bread pre-garlic buttered! That component alone makes this recipe super simple. You can buy pre-garlic buttered bread either in the bread section or the freezer section of your local grocery store.
- It’s so cheesy and filling, it can be used for an appetizer or a full meal! These are great for game days to dunk into your favorite sauce while you cheer for your favorite team.
- It’s like pizza on steroids. I mean, anything pizza-like is just plain awesome.
Here’s what you’ll need to make it
- Sheet Pan – For baking the bread.
- Large Bowl – This is for mixing the ground beef, all the spices and other ingredients.
- Micro plane or box grater – You will need to grate your Parmesan cheese for the meatball mixture. If you buy pre-grated, you will not need this.
- Measuring Spoons – Just to measure the ingredients, otherwise you a measure with your heart.
**This post contains affiliate links. I may earn commission from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. I will never recommend a product I don’t use or trust.**
Ingredients & substitutions
- Ground beef – I used grass fed ground beef. Do your research on the differences between how cows are raised and nutritional differences of cows who are raised in factory farms!
- Garlic powder – Just dried seasoning to make this recipe easy. You can also use minced garlic.
- Oregano – I used dried oregano from my mom’s garden. It’s hard to find good quality fresh oregano this time of year, at least that’s true here in Wisconsin!
- Basil – Same goes here.. I used dried spices.
- Red pepper flakes – If you like your meatballs a little spicy, use this. If not, fee free to forego.
- Grated Parmesan cheese – You can buy pre-grated Parmesan, but I prefer to grate my own. It’s cheaper and I feel like it has better flavor.
- Provolone cheese – Provolone gives a little extra flavor than mozzarella, but you can certainly use mozzarella if that’s what you have.
- Marinara sauce for dipping – Use your favorite marinara. I used Rao’s. Ranch is also a good options for dipping!
- Loaf of take and bake garlic bread – I used The Essential Baking Company. It comes pre garlic-buttered which makes this recipe so easy.
How to make this Cheesy meatball garlic bread
Step 1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
Step 2. To a bowl, add ground beef, Parmesan cheese and spices, and mix with hands until fully combined.
Step 3. With an ice cream scoop, scoop meat mixture onto the pre buttered and sliced garlic bread. Flatten the meat out so its placed evenly on both sides of the bread.
Step 4. Bake for 12 minutes. Remove from oven and layer 4 slices of provolone cheese on each half. Put back in the oven for another 8 minutes.
Step 5. Let cool slightly and slice into 8 total slices.
Step 6. Serve with a bowl of marinara for dipping.
FAQs about cheesy garlic bread
Reheating garlic bread by toasting it in a frying pan is a delicious way to add extra flavor and a perfectly crispy texture. This method would be time-consuming for a large amount of garlic bread, but for a few slices, it is an ideal method.
For this meatball bread, you can reheat in the oven so it’s warm all the way through.
Garlic bread is a staple in Italian cuisine and every nook and corner of the country has its own way of consuming it. In most parts of Italy, it is an accompaniment to the main meal, where the bread is perfect to soak up the sauces and flavours of pastas, stews and broths.
More easy bread appetizers:
More easy Xmas appetizers:
Garlic Bread Meatball Sub
- 1 Sheet Pan
- 1 Large Bowl
- 1 microplaner or box grater
- Measuring Spoons
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp basil
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 8 slices provolone cheese
- 1 cup marinara sauce for dipping
- 1 loaf take and bake garlic bread I used The Essential Baking Company
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- To a bowl, add ground beef, Parmesan cheese and spices, and mix with hands until fully combined.
- With an ice cream scoop, scoop meat mixture onto the pre buttered and sliced garlic bread. Flatten the meat out so its placed evenly on both sides of the bread.
- Bake for 12 minutes. Remove from oven and layer 4 slices of provolone cheese on each half. Put back in the oven for another 8 minutes.
- Let cool slightly and slice into 8 total slices.
- Serve with a bowl of marinara for dipping.